Updated: Aug 20, 2020
Project Managers have the ability to lead the successful execution of their projects.
What qualities are most important for a project controls and project manager to be effective? Key qualities of successful project managers include:
1. Inspires a Shared Vision. What is the strategic vision of the project being executed. Ensuring all have the same vision will greatly improve the opportunities for success.
“Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere as long as the policy you’ve decided upon is being carried out.” – Ronald Reagan
2. Good Communicator. The ability to communicate at all levels of the organization and the project team.
3. Integrity. The actions of a project manager set the team culture. Good leadership demands commitment to, and demonstration of, ethical practices. In other words the project manager "walks the talk" and in the process earns trust.
4. Enthusiasm. Project managers require enthusiasm with a can-do attitude. Teams follow people with a can-do attitude. Enthusiastic project managers are committed to their goals and express this commitment through optimism.
5. Empathy. It is necessary that the project manager acknowledges that their team has a life outside of work.
6. Competence. Project managers must know what they are doing and must successfully lead others rather than on relying on technical expertise.
7. Delegation. Trust is an essential element in the relationship of a project leader and his or her team. You demonstrate your trust in others through your actions - how much you check and control their work, how much you delegate and how much you allow people to participate.